Vladimir is a city in Russia, the capital of the Vladimir region, located on the left bank of the Klyazma River, 184 km north-east of Moscow.
The population of Vladimir is about 352,600 (2015), the area – 124 sq. km.
The phone code +7 4922, the postal codes – 600000-600903.
How to get to Vladimir from Nizhny Novgorod
Commercial buses Vladimir-Moscow depart daily from 6 am to 8 pm, as filling from station square (located between the Vladimir rail-road station and bus stations). Ticket price 190 rubles (±3$). By the week-ends usually are quite long queues. Purchasing tickets in advance is impossible.
Departure state coaches from Moscow to Vladimir comes from Vladimir bus station (phone reference 323790), located near the Vladimir rail-road station. The schedule of the Vladimir bus station buses can be found there. It is recommended to specify the information through the Helpdesk bus.
But the most comfortable is a train from Vladimir to Moscow is Express “Vladimir-Moscow” (express №115).
Train Departs daily at 07-24 going to the Vladimir Station (reference 292300 phone). Journey time – 2 hours 30 minutes. The train makes a stop at the 1 Petushki.
A trip to Vladimir is best to combine with a visit to Suzdal, because it is just 32 km from Vladimir.
The history of the city of Vladimir
The history of the founding of Vladimir has a different version. In some Russian Chronicles mention in Vladimir dated 990 a year, and the base is attributed to the Kiev Prince Vladimir Svyatoslavovich. According to another version, the fortress of Vladimir was founded in 1108 by Prince Vladimir Monomakh and named accordingly in his honour.
The development of Vladimir began in the mid-twelfth century when the son of Yuri Dolgoruky, Andrei Bogolyubsky, who, having decided to proclaim himself the Grand Duke, moved the capital from Kiev to Vladimir and deployed a big building. For several years the city has changed beyond recognition, and raised a fortress on the earthworks built the Golden gate – the main entrance to the city, the assumption Cathedral, as well as country residence of the Prince – Bogolyubovo.
The case of Prince Andrew continued by his brother Vsevolod the Big Nest. And even when his descendants began the disintegration of the Vladimir power into several small principalities, which later led to the unfortunate events. In 1238 the city was destroyed and burned by the Tatars. To rise to its former height was not managed. In the XIV century Vladimir became part of Moscow Principality. The former capital became a member city of the Moscow state. In the XIV-XVII centuries there was a series of raids, fires, looting, which further devastated the city.
During the XVIII century the city three times changed their status. In 1719. Vladimir became the center of the province in 1778. center governorship, 1796г. the capital of the Vladimir province.
Today Vladimir is a regional center with a rich cultural heritage, which is part of the Golden Ring of Russia.
Attractions of Vladimir
The most important monuments, that brought glory to Vladimir, are the white-stone building of the XII century in the territory of the ancient great city, the Assumption Cathedral, St. Demetrius Cathedral, Golden gates. Also of interest is a typical architectural constructions of the XIX-beginning of XX century Trinity Church, Water tower, buildings of the former City Council, Art Museum.
The main attractions are on the Great Moscow street. In order of priority in the direction of the railway station will be:
The monastery with a tragic fate, almost completely destroyed in the 1930s.
Was founded in 1191 by Prince Vsevolod III. Before 1744 there was as a monastery, from the middle of XVIII century as the Bishop’s house. At the Nativity Cathedral were buried Alexander Nevsky; in 1723 his remains were transported to St. Petersburg.
The oldest construction of the monastery was the Cathedral of the Nativity of the end of the XII century, but it has not survived. Little remains in the monastery from those times – the Bishop’s house, Cross Church walls.
Now the monastery is revived, on the site of the destroyed Cathedral of the Nativity is raised a new temple, and not a copy of the former, and as a monument, embodying traits of the ancient Vladimir-Suzdal architecture. Also recreated monastic belfry.
Located just outside the walls of the Nativity monastery. The Church is named in honor of one of the most revered saints in the Christian world – St. Nicholas (Saint). Currently it houses the planetarium. In the square before the Church stands a monument to Alexander Nevsky, which was set to the 700th anniversary of the death of the Prince.
St. Demetrius Cathedral
St. Demetrius Cathedral is a Palace temple of the great Vladimir Prince Vsevolod III, is betrothed at the baptism by John. The Cathedral was founded in 1194.
Demetrius Cathedral, though small, is striking in its grandeur and monumentality. The distinctive feature and value of the Cathedral – a rich white-stone carving. Its walls are decorated with about 600 reliefs depicting saints, mythical and real animals.
The Cathedral has been part of paintings of the XII century, including fragments of the composition “last judgment.” Currently, the temple does not work.
The building of government Offices (Wards)
Former government Offices (house provincial office) – yellow sa XVIII century building with white columns, located between Demetrius and assumption cathedrals.
Now here is the Museum complex of the “house” with numerous exhibitions, art gallery. In addition to adult serious exhibitions, here is a fascinating children’s Museum center, which occupies the entire first floor. The exhibition acquaint kids with the old city, its history, with the Russian peasant’s life, with the world of folk tales and old books. There is a wonderful exhibition of toys, as well as an exposition dedicated to the old Russian school.
The Cathedral of the Assumption
The assumption Cathedral was founded in 1158. This is the main temple of the city, it is a valuable monument of old Russian architecture. Assumption Cathedral in Vladimir served as a model for construction in the XV century the assumption Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin.
In 1238 the Tatars captured the city, burned the Cathedral, which sheltered many citizens, including the Royal family. The Cathedral suffered from fire, but not destroyed. Subsequently, the Church has repeatedly burned and was ruined. Restoration of the 1888-1891гг. returned assumption Cathedral to its original appearance.
During the reign of Andrei Bogolyubsky, the temple is a miraculous icon of the Vladimir mother of God, it is now stored in the Tretyakov gallery in Moscow. Huge value are preserved in the Cathedral frescoes by Andrei Rublev – the great Russian icon painter of XV century.
The assumption Cathedral is a world famous monument of architecture and the existing Cathedral Church of the Vladimir-Suzdal diocese. The entrance to the Cathedral at the travel time from 13.00 till 16.45 – paid.
Cathedral square – the historic centre of Vladimir, jewels of which are the assumption and St. Demetrius cathedrals. Here there is a wonderful Park where you can stroll in the shade of trees, relax on a bench, walk to the observation deck with a magnificent view of the city and on the picturesque banks of the Klyazma river. More recently, in 2007, the Park was installed the monument to the founder of Moscow, Prince Vladimir and the Saint Fyodor, the Baptist Vladimir land.
Another recent monument, installed at the entrance to the Park is a monument to the genius Russian icon painter Andrei Rublev, who participated in painting the Cathedral of the assumption.
In Cathedral square are also located the ancient building of the Great Moscow street – former government Offices, city Duma building, House officers, the building of the gymnasium, the city Bank.
Golden gate was built in 1164, but retained from the old building only two white stone walls. The uniqueness of the construction is that of which existed in the middle ages such as the Golden gate in Jerusalem, Constantinople and Kiev to the present day preserved only ancient, Vladimir.
During the reign of Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky, it was important, the most elegant and solemn gates of the capital of North-Eastern Russia. In addition to the defensive end they had also the appointment of the arc de Triomphe. Under the arches of the gate took place the princely retinue, leaving and returning from trips. Here met foreign ambassadors and eminent guests, here to celebrate the solemn entry into the great reign of Alexander Nevsky and Dmitry Donskoy.
Like Gold Silver white stone gate stood at the opposite Eastern end of the fortress. The remaining seven gate-towers of the city were made of wood.
Today the building houses the Military-historical exposition of the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-reserve.
Trinity Church – a monument of architecture of the early XX century. It is located near the Golden gate.
The Church building is the Museum of crystal, embroidery and lacquer miniatures. The Museum exhibits the works of the masters of glass from Gus-Crystal, embroidery and lacquer miniatures from Mstiora.
The water tower is on the Kozlov Val (rampart) near the Golden gate. The tower was built in 1912. This red brick building is one of the examples of urban household buildings of the late XIX century. In the tower building, opened the exposition “Old Vladimir”. Photos, signs, household items, reproduced scenes and interior angles recreate a vivid picture of life and mores of provincial Vladimir of the late XIX – early XX centuries. You can climb to the observation deck of the water tower and admire the panorama of the city.
Museums Of Vladimir
Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-reserve was established in 1956. The Museum includes 56 architectural monuments of Vladimir, Suzdal, Gus-Khrustalny, Bogolyubovo and Kideksha.
The management and excursion Department of the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum is located at the address: Vladimir, Bolshaya Moskovskaya, 43. Phone the tour Department: (4922) 32-42-63, 32-70-10, 42-06-80.
The Museum complex of the “house”
Located in the building of former public Offices, between the assumption and St. Demetrius cathedrals. Include multiple exposures, art gallery, and the Children’s center with lots of exciting eskpozitsii, which occupy the entire first floor.
Address: Vladimir, St. Big Moscow, 58. Tel: (4922) 32-33-20. Working time – from 10 to 17 hours, Tuesday and Wednesday – from 10 to 16 hours, day off – Monday.
Exposition “Old Vladimir”
Housed in the former water tower and talks about city life in the late XIX – early XX century. The exposition occupies three floors, and the fourth, equipped with an observation deck. Schedule: 10 to 18 clock, closed on Mondays.
Housed in a building of the Golden gate. The exhibition presents weapons and uniforms of various eras. The centerpiece is the diorama “the Decisive assault of Vladimir by troops of Batu Khan on 7 February 1238”, which recreates a picture of the siege of the city. Schedule: from 10 to 18 hours, closed Thursdays.
Located at the address: Bolshaya Moskovskaya, 64. At the moment it displays about the History of Vladimir region from ancient times to 1917.” Schedule: from 10 to 16 hours, day off – Tuesday.
The Museum of crystal, embroidery and lacquer miniatures
Located in the building of Trinity Church near the Golden gate. The Museum exhibits the works of the masters of glass from Gus-Crystal, embroidery and lacquer miniatures from Mstiora. Schedule: from 11 to 19 hours, except Monday.
The house Museum of Stoletovs
Located in the outbuilding next to the large two-story house merchants Stoletovs. The outbuilding is a small one-story wooden house, typical for the urban development of the XIX century. The Museum exposition betrays the atmosphere and way of life of a merchant family.
Address: Vladimir, St. Stoletovs, 3 (opposite the Nativity monastery), tel: (4922) 32-31-26. Schedule: from 10 to 16 hours, day off – Thursday.
Detailed information on the work of the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-reserve can be found on the official website of the Museum.
Entertainment in Vladimir
Ferris wheel “Sky 33” is located in the Central Park of culture and rest.
The Ferris wheel features 32 cabins can accommodate up to 6 people each. One round wheel makes for 15 minutes. The wheel works all year round, air conditioning and heating allows you to enjoy the views in any weather.
MODE OF OPERATION:
10:30-22:30 (all days except Thursday)
Adult (1 lap) – 200 RUB.
Child (3-10 years) – 150 RUB.
Children under 3 – free.
The village of Bogolyubovo – country princely residence
14 km from Vladimir in the direction of Nizhny Novgorod is the former country residence of the Prince – Bogolyubovo. There was a white stone castle of the Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky in XII century, now it remained only one of the towers, and arched transition from the tower to the Cathedral of the Nativity of the virgin. Here Andrey Bogolyubsky was murdered by conspirators in 1174. After the owner’s death the castle passed to the monastery.
Currently, the Bogoliubov part of the complex is the Bogolyubov nunnery, and part of the ensemble, namely, the monuments of architecture of XII century – belong to the Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-reserve. The Museum is open from 10 to 18h, closed on Mondays.
The Church of the Intercession on the Nerl
The Church stands on a small hill, among the water meadows. To reach the temple from railway station of Bogolyubovo. You can leave your car at the W/d station, further – walking on a meadow path. During the spring high water floods the meadows, and reach the Church on foot will not work.
The Church of the Intercession on the Nerl – white, lonely standing among meadows, from afar – a tiny, near majestic, she is so perfect. The walls of the temple is decorated with white stone carvings. The Church is an architectural monument of Federal significance and is included in the world heritage list of UNESCO.
Several Hotels Of Vladimir
Hotel “U Zolotyh Vorot“, St. Bolshaya Moskovskaya, 15, phone: (4922) 42-08-23
Hotel “Vladimir“, St. Bolshaya Moskovskaya, 74 phone: (4922) 32-72-01
Tourist complex “Russian Village“, Moscow highway, 5A, phone: (4922) 38-36-90
The hotel “Dobroe”, str dobrosel’skaya, d 217, phone: (4922) 21-35-50
The “Zarya” hotel, St. icy mountain, 36-a, phone: (4922) 32-14-41 , 32-79-60
The hotel complex “Klyazma“, sudogodskoye shosse, 15; phone: (4922) 32-42-37
Spread the beauty:
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)