The ruble’s doing really bad. Since Sept 1, it went from ~37 rubles to the USD to ~66 to the USD. And although costs are going up too, they’re slow to catch up.
Example: a dinner for one with an entree, a drink and dessert would run you about 1000-1500 rubles. Three months ago, that would’ve been 27-41USD. Today, that’s 15-23USD.
So… if you’ve always wanted to check out Russia or do the Trans-Siberian or something else, now’s a good time (from a financial perspective).
And if you decide to check out Moscow, shoot me a message and I’ll see what I can help with!
Moscow is NOT a budget destination. It is one of the most expensive cities in the world. BUT if you’ve always wanted to see it, now is a good time, as you’ll get more bang for your buck.
A few things I love about Russia, but it really deserve it:
- Russian’s are fiercely loyal – if you get invited into someone’s home, you’re gonna be taken care of 110%.
- The arts are venerated here while many other places in the world, people have to fight to keep the arts alive.
- The desserts… holy damn do Russians know how to do dessert. Dessert and tea are synonyms here, and Russians are nothing without their chai.
- I love the influence of Cacausian and Central Asian culture – and their food is delicious.
- Moscow’s surprisingly green – there are tons of big parks and as a culture, Russians love their time outside, even if it’s 20 below zero.