Red Square in Moscow – the heart and symbol of the capital, required to visit the place for all foreign visitors and a favorite place of walks of moscovites.
Red Square is located in the north-eastern wall of the Kremlin, to the east of it are Top (GUM) and the Middle Trading Rows, to the north – the Historical Museum and the Kazan Cathedral, to the south – Pokrovsky Cathedral (St. Basil). Red Square covers an area of 23 100 m², its length – 300 meters, width – 70 m.
Time of the square provenience can not be established. Most likely, this space already existed from the time of construction of the Kremlin – for defensive purposes. It is known that in 1434 this place was a negotiating area, called “Torg”. Since the end of the XVI century the Red Square was called Big area and Fire area. In the XVII century are beginning to call the Red Square (that’s mean not red, but beautiful). Over time, Red Square becomes not much a commercial as a political center of Moscow. The XIX century was marked by intensive building area.
After the 1917 revolution, the square name survived – he was tied up with the victory of the “red”, the Red Square and the Kremlin have become the symbols of the revolution. In 1990, the Red Square with the Kremlin complex was included in the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage.
Red Square is always 24/24 open for tourists, except for a few cases where are the preparations for the big holidays.
The main attractions of the Red Square:
- Lobnoye Mesto (Head Place, Place of Execution)
- Monument to Minin and Pozharsky
- St. Basil’s Cathedral
- Kazan Cathedral
- Historical Museum
How to get to Red Square
- Metro station: “Okhotny Ryad”, “Revolution Square”, “Theatre”
- Bus: 25 (stop Red Square)
- Trolleybus: 8 (stop Red Square)